Thursday, May 7, 2009

Strange problem with extremely dry skin. What do I do?

Since I can remember, I've always had dry skin, but it seems to be getting worse. In the first stage, the skin on my face gets shiny and dry, feeling "tight." Then it splits and starts to flake away in large patches (sometimes dime-sized, but often smaller). When I pick at these, I get little scabs sometimes.





It's a really embarrassing problem and it makes me not want to be seen. I'm rarely unaffected by it. A dermatologist once told me I had atopic dermatitis, but he also said it might be mild excema. Even he seemed a little stumped by the problem and couldn't help me.





I've tried samples of Elidel, a cream that treats excema, but all it really seems to do is keep the flakes in larger patches before they fall off. It doesn't keep my skin healthier.





I also have asthma and allergies. I'm told excema goes along with these other two. The skin thing is what's bothering me the worst. I'm tired of my skin falling off. I use lotion several times a day and it's embarrassing. What do I do?

Strange problem with extremely dry skin. What do I do?
I have a similar prob. Here are some tips I follow to keep it to a minimum.


1. Don't eat or drink dairy- If it is execema it will flair up big time and also Dairy aggrevates allergies.


2. Drink Plenty of water


3. Don't use any soaps with purfume or scents and for moisturizing use natural ingredients like pure shea butter or Olive Oil (Like the kind you buy in the grocery store).





Hope this helps
Reply:Do you exfoliate? you should try a scrub that has some pumice or other exfoliants in it, that when when you wash your face, the dry dead skin is sloghed off. When you are done washing try using a cream that is light and made for the face, but has no fragrences or colors. I hope this helps. ps I use st ives apricot scrub, and lubriderm lotion. works well for me .


No comments:

Post a Comment